Science at Jumeirah Primary School
The vision of GEMS Jumeirah Primary School is that every child believes they are a scientist - a creator of thoughts, ideas, explanations and questions to explore.
The school aims to stimulate a child’s curiosity to gain an understanding of natural phenomena; thus developing children’s scientific knowledge and an understanding of the world around them. Learning opportunities in science allow children to develop reasoning and thinking skills to problem solve, communicate effectively, work cooperatively and use technology to become 21st Century learners. Children learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level.
Science is at the core of learning at GEMS Jumeirah Primary School. It is taught as part of our topic units and in dedicated Science lessons in the Lab and in classrooms.
The aims of science are to enable children to:
- ask and answer scientific questions
- making predictions
- develop skills through scientific enquiry and plan investigations
- use appropriate scientific equipment to aid enquiry, including technology
- evaluate evidence
- present their conclusions clearly and accurately
- know and understand the life processes of living things
- know and understand materials and their properties
- know and understand the physical processes of materials, electricity, light, sound and natural forces
- know about the nature of the solar system, including the earth
- understand current world issues such as Global Warming/Environmental changes including Recycling and how to reduce their Carbon Footprint
The contribution of Science to teaching in other curriculum areas:
The school recognises that students today will need to acquire skills in an ever evolving social, economic and culturally diverse world. The Science curriculum has been developed to incorporate cross curricular links through the implementation of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths) based learning projects. Through this the children engage in critical thinking, problem solving and develop their entrepreneurial skills. Children love to explore, create and collaborate!
- English: Science contributes significantly to the teaching of English by actively promoting the skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening. Some of the texts that the children study in English are of a scientific nature.
- Technology: Science is used in lessons to collect, record, analyse and present data. Children share their learning collaboratively through various media including Google Classroom. WeDo LEGO has been integrated into the curriculum which allows children to develop their scientific knowledge alongside computational thinking; deepen their thinking and understanding of key concepts.
- Engineering: Science is fundamental to any building or construction, children use their knowledge of scientific concepts (such as pulleys and levers) to create 3D models and machines.
- Art: Science projects involve an element of design in the process. Children apply their creative side in the development of these ideas linked to their scientific understanding.
- Mathematics: Science contributes to the teaching of mathematics in a number of ways. Children apply their knowledge of statistics, measures and graphs to scientific enquiry which allows them master these mathematical skills. Through working on investigations they learn to estimate and predict and record their results in a variety of different ways.
GEMS Jumeirah Primary School believes that parents have a fundamental role to play in helping the children achieve success in science. Parents are regularly informed about how they can assist in their children’s learning by the following:
- The parents are updated via a weekly newsletter and regular Twitter updates on what areas of STEAM education are being covered by individual year groups.
- Science displays throughout the school foster interest in science for children and parents; with a school brochure to inform parents of how science is taught at GEMS Jumeirah Primary School; how they can assist in the teaching of science and information on relevant websites.
- Home Learning is set half-termly linked to children’s science Topics
- Established community links provide STEAM After School Activities
- Children have the opportunity to participate in International Science and STEAM competitions.